What is Shared Hosting?
Shared hosting is a type of hosting service where several websites share the space of one web server. Each website has its place on a specific section on the server; this section keeps each site separated from the others situated on the same server. This hosting service is widely known for its affordable pricing as long as server maintenance costs are shared by all the customers using shared hosting services. This peculiarity makes shared hosting very economical.
Shared hosting is the best choice for the majority of websites given the fact that a wide range of hosting companies provides enough resources for successful functioning of websites with 1,000 page views per day. This category includes personal blogs, websites of small and medium businesses, topical websites and forums.
Tips to Choose the Best Web Hosting that Fits Your Needs?
If your website falls into this group, you can be sure that shared hosting is just what you need. The next step to do is to pick the right web hosting provider. Here it is necessary to consider several major points before starting a deal.
1. The first thing to consider is certainly the price! There is no need to pay $3.96 per month for Hatchling plan offered by HostGator where you can host only 1 website while you can get unlimited Special plan from JustHost for $2.25 and have 10 or even 20 websites hosted!
2. Addon Domain. Another point to consider is the number of websites you are planning to get hosted. Different hosting plans allow different number of domains.
3. Bandwidth. It is wise to take into account the bandwidth provided by a hoster. For example, a website with 1,000 page views per day and medium page size of 100Kb requires about 3GB for monthly traffic.
4. Disc Space. The most popular CMS for WordPress blogs takes just several Mb of disc space, and each blog post will additionally take about 50Kb.
5. Databases. 99% of CMS use databases for storing your website content.
6. It is economical to prepay hosting charges for a longer period. The thing is that the majority of companies provide discounts when customers make advance payments for periods starting from 2 years.
7. The ability to run PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, the most popular scripting languages among developers.
Before ordering a hosting package you should carefully read the User Agreement. This way you will be on the safe side without getting caught by marketing tricks. Pay special attention to the following sections:
MoneyBack. Here you should consider the terms and conditions of agreement termination.
Cancellation Policy. The most crucial point is the way a hosting provider estimates unused sum for refund in premature termination of the contract after moneyback period.
System Usage. CPU Usage, Bandwidth and Disk Usage. Remember even if you buy a totally unlimited tariff plan, it doesn't mean that there will actually be no limits. Thus, if Disc Size is crucial for you, make sure there are no limits for the number of files. In case you need unlimited traffic and you have chosen a plan with "Unlimited Bandwidth", in fact you can count on 10-20Gb per month. If you go beyond, they can limit the bandwidth to a few Kb per second or even block your account with persistent requests to upgrade your Shared plan to VPS. These limits are not common to mention but they are there, so take your time to read about such tricky moments.
However, it is not so scary as it might seem. As a matter of fact, 90% of webmasters feel great with 5-10 Addon Domains, 2-3Gb Disc Size and 5-10Gb Bandwidth.